Dental implants, like those available at Koch Aesthetic Dentistry in Birmingham, have been shown repeatedly to be an ideal tooth replacement option. They look and function like natural teeth, and have a high success rate.
The rates vary depending on where in the jaw a dental implant is placed. But the success rates range from ninety to ninety-five percent. The success of a dental implant is greatly influenced by several factors, some of which are within your control.
The factors include:
- Smoking. Smoking has a big impact on the healing process after an implant is placed, because it restricts blood flow to the gums. Smokers who want to get an implant should kick the habit six months before the procedure.
- Bone density. A successful dental implant depends greatly on the patient having enough healthy jaw bone. When bone density decreases, the bone becomes more fragile and susceptible to fracture. Bone loss is common in the jaw when there are missing teeth. Bone mass can be increased with a bone graft.
- Gum disease. Patients must have enough healthy gum tissue in order be a good candidate for a dental implant. Gum disease can damage the gums and the jaw bone. If gum disease is successfully treated, you may be able to get an implant.
- Medical conditions. Arthritis and diabetes both hinder the body’s ability to heal. Dental implants can only succeed if the metal post implanted in the jaw fuses with the bone, and slow healing can prevent that.
- Dental hygiene. It is critical to keep the implant area clean once the procedure is over. That means regular brushing, flossing, and rinsing. Good dental hygiene minimizes the chances of an infection, and a better chance of success.
Dental implants from Koch Aesthetic Dentistry in Birmingham can transform your life, and there is a lot that patients can do to ensure a successful outcome. To find out whether you’re a good candidate for the procedure, please call our office to schedule an appointment.
Koch Aesthetic Dentistry